Tekoa was originally built and opened around 1890. When the four-hole course on Western Avenue opened it was one of the first in Western Massachusetts. A Grand Clubhouse was added in 1911 on the property now owned by Westfield State University.
Donald Ross then redesigned the course and made it nine holes in 1923. Five of those holes still remain intact today. The original Ross holes are 2, 3, 4, 14 and 15. The features of those holes still remain very intact. The other four holes are still visible on the south side of Route 20, which abuts up to Western Avenue and Stanley Park.